07 December 2009

spicy molasses cookies


What's Christmastime without cookies? Soon all of us will be inundated with food gifts from friends, clients, coworkers. And come the 1st of the year, probably sooner, you'll be cursing those sweet generous people as the devil. (Hey, they didn't force that cookie into your mouth.) Anyways, I'm one of those devils. I tease my hair and wear a bump-it to disguise the sugar filled horns. Nice to meet you.

Ask anyone who knows me... I'm a baker before a cook. This is my season. This is what I train for all year! Okay fine that's almost an exaggeration... almost. These 2-3 weeks before Christmas my kitchen will be consumed in a whirlwind of flour and sugar. While I've never been to or hosted a cookie exchange, and boy do I ever want to go to one of those (come on friends, any of you hosting one?), I at least have a few cookie baking dates set up. Otherwise I'll happily bake hundreds of little treats over the next few weeks.

And it started this weekend with my little holiday thing where I made this delightful and colorful batch of molasses cookies. The sugar coating gives it a nice little crunch before the soft warming center. Dip it into a cup of steaming hot cider (spiked with Captain) on a snowy night and you'll feel all warm and cozy. And if you want to share with your coworkers or friends who'll call you a devil in a few weeks, it'll pep up any cookie tray.

Spicy Molasses Cookies
adapted from Baking Bites

1 stick butter, room temp
1 C sugar
1/4 C molasses (not blackstrap)
2 Tbsp honey
1 egg
2 1/3 C flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
turbinado and/or sanding sugar for rolling

1. Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Blend in molasses, honey, and egg until smooth.
2. Whisk all dry ingredients from flour to salt together.
3. Mix the flour and spices mix ingredients into the butter mix until thoroughly combined. Cover and throw into the fridge for an hour or 2.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
5. Roll dough into 1" balls. Roll turbinado or sanding sugars and arrange 2-3" apart on baking sheet.
6. Bake 9-11 minutes until edges are set.
7. Let cool on pan for a few minutes and transfer to a cooling rack.
Makes approx 3 dozen cookies.

1 comment:

  1. I still have some and have been slowly devouring every moist and delicious bite =)

    -milazzo

    ReplyDelete