12 January 2010

italian sausage and spinach over pasta

I made my first whoopsie since I started my Ten in '10 challenge -- I ordered out because I didn't bring a lunch. I ordered out because I failed to cook the way I had planned, so to get right back on the horse, tonight I made my lunch for tomorrow.

Luckily there were a couple Italian sausage links leftover from a lasagna the other day, and I'd just done a quickie grocery run for some veggies. So what was quick (I got home at like 10:30) that I could whip up to eat tomorrow? This!

I basically put the recipe together based on a picture in my head. No doubt I've seen something similar to this somewhere in my endless blog trolling, magazine reading, or cookbook browsing. It's no wonder - it's a snap to make, easy to scale to one person, and you could likely tinker with the seasoning to your taste. I may add some red pepper flakes for some zip next time. Enjoy!


Sausage and Spinach over Pasta

1 C dry whole grain rotini
2 turkey Italian sausage links (3 oz), casings removed
1 tbsp oil
1/4 sweet onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 C (packed) baby spinach
a handful of cherry tomatoes
salt and pepper to taste
parmesan


Boil pasta according to the directions.

Heat up oil in a small skillet over med heat and fry sausage, breaking up into bite siz pieces, until browned. Remove sausage to a bowl, but leave oil. Add onion and garlic and sautee until soft. Add baby spinach, salt and pepper, and sautee until soft.
Toss sausage, spinach mix and pasta together. Salt and pepper to taste. Top wth grated parmesan and a handful of cherry tomatoes.

Makes one hefty serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment