21 January 2010

cauliflower fritters + 2 quickie recipes

I feel like I've been away forEVER, but it's only been a few days. This is probably because despite my best intentions to cook more, I have spent little to no time in the kitchen. In that little time I made some tasty yet generic burgers (1 lb 90/10 ground beef, 1 pack onion soup mix, split into 4, fry) with roasted sweet potato fries (heat oven to 400, slice 1 sweet potato into fry size pieces, drizzle with olive oil, salt, and ground red pepper flakes, bake for 25 min, tossing twice for even baking). Let me tell you those sweet potato fries were so darn tasty and ridiculously easy to make that I've added that to my Go to Recipe list.

But tonight, I went with another veggie: leftover cauliflower. I used half of a head to make some roasted florets, and had the other half just sitting around. That's one of the things that's a challenge about cooking for one - the normal portion of veggies you buy at the grocery are too much for 1, and I don't want to eat the same thing over and over. Thus: cauliflower fritters, which look and taste a bit like latkes, but (I think/hope) healthier. I found on this recipe on another blog I stumbled on - Gina's WW Recipes - and all her stuff looks so delish AND healthy that I'll be happy to try more of her recipes in the future.


Cauliflower Fritters

1/2 head cauliflower, steamed and mashed chunky
1/2 C whole wheat flour
1 clove garlic, minced
1 egg
1/4 C parmesan, shredded via microplane
salt and pepper
hot water
olive or canola oil to fry
Mix all the ingredients from the cauliflower to the salt/pepper. Add enough water to make the batter look like really thick pancake mix. Heat oil in a nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Scoop 1/4 C (or use a large pampered chef cookie scoop) of the cauliflower mix and flatten a bit. Fry each side til golden brown (see the pretty gold edges in the pic above!)

1 comment:

  1. these look yummy... I actually like cauliflower and should try these!

    ReplyDelete