10 February 2010

snow day banana bread

Today makes 3.5 work days in a row that the federal government was closed due to the Blizzard of 2010 (of which round 2 kicked in today and dropped even MORE snow on us, yay!), therefore my office was closed. The sleeping in has been really great... but to be honest, I'm starting to get a little stir crazy. I haven't been out much in the last few days except to shovel and then for a few hours for dinner and hanging with Ang. yesterday. And for that matter, going out with Ang.... it was really weird being surrounded by other people again! I miss my routine. But in the mean time, I'm not one to waste *that* much time... I've been baking. A lot. And despite the frigid blizzard winds and snow outside, my house is warm and smells like heaven thanks to the goodies.

Like this banana bread! I split the recipe into 2 8x4 loaves, mixing one with mini chocolate chips. I think regular size chips would have been better, but either way, they were moist and banana-y and awesome.


Banana Bread

3 very ripe medium bananas
2 eggs, beaten
1/3 C buttermilk
1/4 C apple sauce
1/4 C canola oil
2 tsp vanilla
1 C brown sugar
1 1/4 C all purpose flour
1/2 C white whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp baking soda
handful of mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325. Spray 2-8x4 tins with cooking spray.
In a large bowl, mash bananas. Mix in the eggs, buttermilk, apple sauce, oil and vanilla. Sift in the brown sugar, flours, salt and soda. Mix well.
Pour half the batter into one pan. Mix the chips into the remaining batter, then pour into the second pan.
Bake for about 45-50 minutes, or until a thin skewer inserted comes out clean.

You could also make this in one 9x5 loaf pan, and increase the cooking time until it is done.

1 comment:

  1. Made this recipe this morning. It was yummy but not as good as when you made it! Your bread was much more moist than mine.

    ReplyDelete