02 February 2010

what can you do with just 1 egg?

It's snowing again - second time in 4 days. Today I was prepared - rented The Hurt Locker (which is AMAZING by the way, is far superior to Avatar and I hope it wins best picture) and have a fully stocked fridge. See, Saturday caught me off guard, and I was sitting at home bored out of my mind. Normally I go on a baking spree when I get bored, but I was looking in my fridge at ONE egg. What on earth could I bake with one egg? (Besides shortbread, which I wasn't craving. Cravings dictate what I make, oh, 95% of the time.)

While I didn't have the ingredients to make a warm and comforting chili, I still wanted someting comfort food like. That I could make with one egg. Lucky for me, I had corn meal in my pantry and I whipped up these muffins. I even "healthed them up" by using whole wheat flour and no oil. I think those adjustments made them a bit denser, but they totally balanced out the slathering them in butter :)

Corn Muffins
adapted from Allrecipes.com

1 C stone ground white cornmeal
3/4 C white whole wheat flour
1/2 C sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 C apple sauce
1 C milk

Preheat oven to 400. Grease a muffin pan.
Mix together all the dry ingredients, then gently stir in the wet ingredients until combined. Use an ice cream scoop to dish out into the muffin pan.
Bake 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment