07 June 2010

grilling time - chipotle lime chicken

Look at that fire and smoke... you can almost hear it sizzling, can't you.Somehow or other I ended up with a bunch of limes after Memorial Day weekend. So before heading to the happiest place on earth the other day, I made a plan to cook some kind of lime chicken dish. And a Bobby Flay marathon was on while I was brainstorming, so I had a major hankering to use chipotles, too. Mmmm spicy. Thus, this.

I really loved this marinade. Lots of flavor. Next time, though, I'm going to make it with chicken thighs to make it juicier. Or maybe I'll use it on a kebab. It seems like a pretty versatile recipe, and it's a definite keeper.

Chipotle Lime Chicken
adapted from RecipeZaar.com

1 chicken breast*
2 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, minced
1/2 tsp adobo sauce
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 C fresh lime juice (1 whole lime)
1/4 C olive oil
3 tbsp honey
salt and pepper

Lay the chicken between 2 pieces of wax paper or plastic wrap and pound out the thicker side until the chicken is an even layer (this ensures even cooking). Whisk together the next 6 ingredients. Cover the chicken breast with half the marinade. Reserve the other half of the marindade. Refrigerate/marinate for a few hours or overnight.

Grill over medium high heat for about 3-4 min each side, basting with leftover marinade. (This can be done on an outdoor grill or stovetop grill pan.) Allow to rest for 5-10 minutes. Slice on the bias. I ate it wrapped in a tortilla, but next time I'm definitely serving with Mexican rice and beans.
* The original recipe marinade makes enough for about 4 chicken breasts. I did have quite a bit leftover, but I used some of it to drizzle over the lettuce. Or I could have marinated more chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment